Types of hosting services
A hosting service suggests hoarding and/or sharing particular web content on a web server handled by a web hosting supplier. There are different classes of hosting services used for different aims, so let's have a glimpse at them. Thus, you can elect what you want, based on whether you wish to create a blog, email accounts, or to share files with buddies and associates.
- File hosting: a solution distributed by given web hosts, which permits you to share large files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only designation is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to explore a register of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php web page files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file hosting solutions are frequently supported by displaying adverts by the download links, while a timer obliges you to wait for a certain interval of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you purchase a paid file storage plan, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no restriction as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
Now, with the help of the cPanel hosting merchandisers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely wrong interpretation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would allot the load between different packs of servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving miscellaneous website hosting services (mail, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, website hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is simply a type of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; specific firms provide a hosting solution for pictures only. This hosting type is good if you wish to share a great number of images with comrades or colleagues since the service is usually free of charge. You will obtain a randomly generated link for each and every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for web pages.
- E-mail hosting: a solution committed to tackling your e-mail addresses. Some vendors provide website hosting solutions for websites, but do not supply an email solution. If you desire to run an email address with your domain name but do not want to keep a site, then the email hosting solution is what you want. You can open mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video, or you can embed the video in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of utilizing this method instead of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video file generates a specific amount of CPU load, so with a couple of video files and several hundred web site visitors, you may have difficulty with your hosting quotas. Embedding the video clip will permit you to keep as many videos as you want to without hassling about system resources.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you need if you would like to keep a website. To a certain degree, it comprises all of the abovementioned hosting groups since, along with your sites, you can also host pics and files, you can run databases and mail addresses, upload video clips, etc. At HD Web Hosting, for example, you can have a peek at web hosting and dedicated hosting accounts that permit you to get all of the aforesaid services in one place. There may be restrictions based on the form of hosting solution that you've picked - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your hosting account may be better or worse juxtaposed to the routine e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are created for specific web content exclusively.